100 Days Of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons —A Bookish Review

 Book Love | Book Review 



Hello, my friend! 

Today I am sharing a review on 100 Days Of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons! This is a beautiful book that is perfect for summer! 

So without further adieu let's get started!

Summary  

100 Days Of Sunlight tells the story of sixteen-year-old blogger Tessa who after being in a car accident is blinded for 100 days. 

Weston is a boy with a positive attitude, is always smiling, and has no legs. After being in an accident his legs are amputated. 

When Weston learns about the girl who is blind he feels a pull to her. She has been in an accident. She is scared and doesn’t know what to do. He knows that feeling. The feeling of losing something. Weston decides he wants to help her. He wants to show her there is more to live for. 

That even blind there is sunlight.

My Thoughts (the review) 

Oh my goodness! This was such a cute book! I love the story and the themes of sunshine, getting back up, and punching life in the face! Abbie Emmons is such a fun writer! I love her blog (where I found her) & she also has a YouTube channel where she gives amazing story advice! 

All in all, this was a fun quick read in one sitting for me! 

Weston! Weston is my favorite character! Just saying, he is amazing & I semi-wish the whole book was written from his POV. His character story and BACKSTORY are amazing. I love his attitude toward the world. We need more positive Westons in the world. I love how Abbie balances his story in the present and the past. He is (in my opinion) the best character in the book (but that is just my love for him).

Also, I love his relationship with his brothers! Such good big-brother moments! (Slight Spoiler): I loved when he carried his little brother to his bed after his brother had a nightmare, even though it was hard for Weston because of his legs (end slight spoiler). 

Tessa. I did like that Tessa is a blogger (being a blogger in all I loved seeing a blogger as a character), loves books, and is indoors. We have a lot in common in that way. I do like her character transformation from being kinda mean, self-centered, and ungrateful to a better and kinder person (thanks in big part to Weston). At times I wished she was a bit more caring to her grandmother who was also in the same car accident (she doesn’t seem to really care about that fact) and I did wish she had more care and empathy for other people who are permanently blind. Tessa is only temporarily blind so I feel like she could have had a little more grace and been more… grateful. Otherwise, the character arc was fantastic! 

100 Days If Sunlight was a sunshiny read I would recommend it to anyone who wants a sweet YA contemporary romance that feels like sunshine and summer! ☀️💛🌻

I love Abbie’s writing and I will be reading everything she writes (also, the Christmas sequel has all the warm cozy Christmas vibes).

Side Note

Let’s talk about plots holes (or things I wished happened and were explained but WERE NOT) 

Note: this is my personal opinion and I have nothing against the book or author, I just had some issues with how the plot and things were handled. I don’t usually do this but I couldn’t get these issues out of my mind and had to share them. 

Faith. Something I felt was missing was any thought about Tessa’s faith. She never says she is a Christian and we don’t see her active in her faith (though it is implied). I feel like that was a mission plot hole that would have given the book more depth. Like if she is a Christian, show that or if she isn’t then why imply it with no return? I felt like I was missing that the whole time. Also, that would have given an added layer to the plot having Tessa be a Christian and Weston not. It would show more of Tessa's character. We can find out the weakness of strength in her faith. If Weston isn’t a Christian then would she be with him even if it went against a gut feeling? Could she have taught him about faith and shown him what it means to be a Christian? There is so much here I wish was there but wasn’t. Who knows? Maybe one day I will write a story with these topics going more in-depth. 

Weston’s assumptions. A big part of the book is Weston not wanting people to treat him differently. It's why he keeps coming back to see Tessa. She can’t see him so she treats him like any other person. The problem with this is…no one treats him differently. Yes, he gets the occasional stare but nothing else. Even going back to school there is no treating him different (except once in gym class but that was for safety). Throughout the whole of the book, Weston is treated the same as he always was (even with legs). This brings the problem, why does he wish people will treat him normally if people do treat him the same? And while we are on the topic, why is he putting up with Tessa screaming at him and then saying that is being treated normally? Does being treated normally mean being yelled at and disrespected? I think not. 

Side part, I wish some of the side characters (all of Tessa’s friends and Weston’s best friend) were more developed. I felt like their parts were lacking and needed a bit more to their story. I LOVE side characters so I was disappointed that after reading the book I can’t even remember their names. This is probably just me but I had to say it. 

This is all I’m going to say for the moment. Besides these missing pieces, the book was an enjoyable read and it gave me all of the sweet happy summer vibes.

Parent Guide: 

Profanity/Crude Language Content

Mild language (a handful of s— words, an implication of an f— (not actually said) and some c— words, pansy— extra.) Normally I would not read a book with this kind of language, but for love of the author, I went into the book knowing this was a part of it. 


Sexual Content

Talk of characters liking each other. Some light kissing. Nothing bad. 


Spiritual Content

Tessa’s grandpa is a pastor and Tessa invites Weston to church with her.


Violence/frightening scenes  

The car crash that made Tessa blind can be frightening. 

Weston’s whole backstory involves how he lost his legs. It can be frightening and intense at times. Especially seeing how he lost his legs and the whole process and aftermath. I was flinching at these parts. My poor Weston!

Weston and his best friend also wrestle and attack each other often. They are always trying to one up each other. 


Drug Content

None


Sensitive Subjects

Weston being an amputee can be sensitive as well as Tessa being in a traumatic car accident leaving her blind. Both have experienced great trauma physically and mentally (Weston more, but Tessa is more dramatic about it). 


Abbie Emmons also provided a parents guide that has everything in the book to look out for. Here is the link for 100 days of sunlight content guide created by the author. 

Other posts you may like… 

Discussion Time

Thank you so much for reading this post! I hoped you liked this book review! 

I want to hear from you! Tell me what you liked about this post. Do you think you will read 100 Days Of Sunlight? Tell me if you do! I would love to chat! 

Be sure to subscribe to this blog to stay in the know because I post new content here every week! 

XOXO Moriyah 💛


Comments

You May Also Like…