3 Reasons Why You Need to Read: The Chronicles Of Narnia The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

 Book Love 


Hello, my wonderful readers! 

Today is a very fun and special day. Today we are talking about one of my all-time favorite books, The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. C. S. Lewis, the author of this book, has been one of my all time favorite writers for years.

 In this Book Love post, I want to share with you my top 3 reasons why YOU should read this book (really you should read the whole series but let's start with this one). 

Let’s do this! 

3 Reasons Why You Should Read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe  

Picture from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005) movie 

Fun Reason: A Lion. A Witch. A Wardrobe. 

Seriously, by the title alone I would want to read this book. And the cover!? I love the cover design. I do graphic design for myself and to help with my mom’s business so I know a good cover when I see it. 

Picture from narnia.com

Reason 1: The Characters. 

The characters in Narnia are amazing. This book follows the journey of the four Pevensie children: Peter, Suzan, Edmund, and Lucy. 

A quick look into the Pevensie children. Peter is the oldest and wants to be the leader and prove himself. Suzan is the second oldest, she is practical and likes to have a plan (like me). Edmund is the third born and troublesome boy who gets into trouble, but he has a soft heart. Lucy is the last born and the most optimistic as well as caring. She is the one who found Narnia and the one to bring her siblings together into the world. 

Back to the story, these siblings are sent to the countryside during WW2 to live with an old professor. At the new house, Lucy finds a magical wardrobe that takes her, and later her siblings, to the magical world of Narnia. Here she meets Mr. Tumnus the fawn at the lamppost (timid but comes to care greatly for little Lucy. If you listen to the audio book he is Irish!). Later when Edmund comes to Narnia he meets the White Witch, the evil foe who has plagued the magical world into forever winter

The story follows the children going across Narnia to save their brother, Edmund, and find Aslan the king of Narnia. Aslan is my favorite of all the characters. The great Lion I love so dear. Aslan is a picture of Jesus, and if you read The Magician’s Nephew you will see how Narnia was created by Aslan (I won’t go into it all but it is incredible). Aslan is wise, loving, powerful, and self-sacrificial. He believes in the kids even when they don’t believe in themselves. He is the king of Narnia. 

I won’t go into everything, but know that the kids meet many more fantastical creatures and are given a mission to help bring back spring and summer and defeat the evil White Witch. 


Reason 2: The World Building. 

World Building. Narnia has the best world-building. World-building, if you are unfamiliar with the term, is the way writers (directors, artists) create and bring you into their world. It is the world itself, be it a magical snow-covered world, outer space, or a home, but also how you the reader are brought into the world. His pacing and the way Lewis shows you his world is incredible. He gives you just enough information to be able to see and experience the world through the siblings' eyes without going into lengthy descriptions about politics, economics, or “extra” stuff about the world. He only tells you the details you need to know and that matters to make you understand. 

This is something important with writing because if you are a writer you don’t want to be giving your reader every little detail about everything. Otherwise, you will lose your audience's attention and it will feel boring. The worst thing for a writer is if their book is boring. If it is then something needs to change. You don’t want your readers to feel like they are reading a textbook. Follow Lewis’ world-building in giving your readers just enough information they can see the world without it being overwhelming. The key to how he did this was we find out about the world through the character’s eyes. We are experiencing and finding out about Narnia at the same time as the characters so we have a shared experience. If it is too much information for your character (not helping their story) then it is too much for your reader. 

You probably weren’t thinking you were going to get a Master Class in world-building, did you? You’re welcome! If you want me to write a post about World Building and that whole process, comment below! 


Reason 3: The Theme. 

The themes in this book and series are incredible. Lewis had this way with words that he was able to put huge themes into his stories without feeling preachy or he was making it obvious. They were snuck in so seamlessly you may not even realize that he is teaching you something until after you have read it and then you will think WOW!” 

He has written powerful messages into The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. His words can bring you to tears, that is a good writer. I remember when my mom first read this series to me, she would often crying over the messages he wrote into his books. That is how moving his work is. 

It is still hard for me to watch the part in the movie when SPOILER ALERT Aslan sacrifices himself to save Edmund and is killed by the white witch. SPOILER ENDED. This is a picture, a theme of Jesus Christ. I always feel emotional after watching that part. 

Jesus died on the cross to save us. He was a perfect being untouched by sin and evil. We are sinners, we make mistakes and bad choices (eating that Turkish Delight while selling out our family, jk). Still, Jesus loves us so much he sacrificed himself to save us from eternal death and torment. We are saved by him, he offers us the chance to live with him in eternity forever. 

If You liked this post be sure to check out: 

Closing Note

There is a reason why this book, this series, has stayed around so long. Narnia has touched many people’s lives. Narnia also shows the talents of an incredible author whose books I all love. 

This is a great book for all ages! My mom read this to me when I was a kid as our story time. We would make tea in our flower china teacups and read it as a part of our school “girl time”. It is one of my favorite memories. I am homeschooled so story time was always my favorite part of school! It was a bonding time with me, my mom, and little sister!

If you haven’t read this amazing book, I highly recommend you do so. You won’t regret it. 

(Honestly, I could write a whole blog series (Master Class) on how you can use Narnia to help you on your writing journey using guidance from this master writer*). 

*I’m talking about Lewis, not me. But thank you if you had a split-second moment thinking it was me, LOL! 

Question Time! 

I want to hear from you! Have you read Narnia? What is your favorite character from this book? If you didn’t know mine is ASLAN (and Suzan because people have told me I look like her, LOL)! I would love to chat! 

Tune in NEXT WEEK for a post on Belief and why it matters to make YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE! 

Happy Reading, 

Moriyah 💛 




Comments

You May Also Like…