KEY by Madisyn Carlin


KEY by Madisyn Carlin  

| a bookish review |


Hello, Sweet Friend! 

In today’s post I’m sharing my book review on KEY by Madisyn Carlin! This is SUCH an incredible book and I have so much to say! This is definitely my favorite of Madisyn’s books that I’ve read! I love this book SO MUCH! 

So without further ado, let's get into this review!!! 


THE BOOK REVIEW 


Give your canoe to the Beginning, young one, and relinquish your grip on the oars. Let the Knower of all—and not your fears—steer you.”  

— Madisyn Carlin, KEY  


Rating: ★★★★★

Cleanness: ★★★* 


THIS BOOK!!! I love this book SO much! This is definitely my favorite in this series! Everything was amazing! The writing, the banter, the scenery, the CHARACTERS! I adore this book and these characters and I’m a bit sad I finished this book because it is just SO GOOD and I didn’t want the story to end! 


This is one of my FAVORITE retellings EVER!!! Think Rapunzel meets The Little Mermaid (without mermaids) that is non-magical and Christian and is set in a small Irish town overlooking the ocean (this book is not Irish, it’s set in a fantasy world,  but for some reason I kept imagining this world as an Irish-like country (which is reflected in the Pinterest board) XD)! 



Writing: 

The writing as always is phenomenal. Madisyn has such a beautiful gift with writing. Once again the banter was incredible (though less because Red wasn’t in this book much but it was still incredible). This one felt like more of an emotional book. It was a beautiful journey and I was tearing up at the end (my eyes were all blurry and I am so proud of the characters))! 


Marteris (where the book is set) is such a beautiful place. All the ocean scenes were beautiful. I felt so transported with this book in a way I haven’t felt in a book for a long time. I felt I could hear the waves, smell the sea, and I felt like I was there with the characters. The scenery and descriptions were *chefs kiss*! 


I loved the element of the tower (going back to the Rapunzel retelling)  and the special key. It is such a cool idea and beautifully executed! All the scenery (the towers and the cliffs and the sea) and every element was amazing! Just…you need to read this book because I’m not describing it well and it's amazing and you just need to read this book!  


Characters: 


DENTON!!! My heart! I love Denton’s character so much! There were so many moments my heart ached for him and made me want to cry. I really wanted to give him a hug and tell him he is loved. He had such a heartbreaking and beautiful journey. He really struggles with himself and his worth and believing he could be loved. He had so many scares and heartbreaking moments from when he was young (which we see some of in IRON) and words have hurt him so much. I wanted to cry every time he flinched when he thought someone was angry because of his father and brother (who are awful). I loved how he was a hero (even though he didn’t believe it). He is such an incredible character! I want a Denton in my life. <3 

Something else I love about his character is that even when he is afraid he will do what is right, even if that means jumping into his fear. *Spoiler: that moment when Denton jumps into the water (he did it three different times) to save Elbert! Ahh! My heart! I was cheering so much! I love him!

I loved that near the end he comes to know who he is in the Beginning (God). He still struggles but he learned to trust in God and know that he is the Beginning’s child (that brought tears to my eyes). 


Nerissa! I love Nerissa! She is such a wonderful character and so relatable! I love how she battled in herself with her fears and trusting the Beginning (God). She had fears and they threatened to overtake her but again and again she and others reminded her of scripture. She loves her sisters with everything in her and change is very difficult for her (both things I can really relate to her in). Even though she struggles, she is such a pillar of faith. Her faith is so encouraging. I love her and Denton’s relationship with each other. She had to trust the Beginning and learn to trust in Denton. It was a slow friendship (and relationship) built on trust. 

One of my favorite scenes of Nerissa’s is when she is battling in her mind to show love. She feels a calling to love someone and it is a struggle for her. I really loved that scene. 


I’m just going to come out and say it. This book is my FAVORITE Rapunzel book retelling ever! Hands down this is my favorite! Even though it is more a side story this is just incredible. I also really loved how it was a side story and not the main plot. The side character was the “Rapunzel” character and not the main one. Afya is such a sweet and troubled character. She is sweet and caring and has been put through so much but then she has a joy in her that is really sweet. I loved her and Edver together! I also loved all the banter between Edver and Denton! They felt like old friends! 


Another thing I loved about this retelling was that I didn’t know what was going to happen. It was just enough the Rapunzel story that it was familiar but completely its own thing and kept me on the edge of my seat. How the tower (or towers) were used and how the story stayed true to the story but reminded itself was amazing. I did like (well I didn’t like her but I was glad she was included story wise) that there was still a “Mother Gothel” character who was just as awful and menacing as the original (and maybe even more villainous). 


The children! I loved all the children and each of them holds a special place in my heart! My favorite of them all was definitely sweet little Noko! He is so sweet and brave and I am really hoping he shows up in the next (or one of next) book(s)! Jonah is so sweet! I loved the friendship between the two boys and how they ended up *spoiler: rescuing Denton*! 

Nerissa’s sisters are so cute and funny! Elbert and Daffy are precious! I loved how fast they warmed up to Denton and saw him as a hero before he ever thought of himself as that. I love them. 


I loved that Morris (or Uncle Morris) was such a pillar of faith and how he was a kind fatherly figure to Denton. He saw the good in Denton and was kind and loving. I loved how he answered Denton’s questions and helped him regain confidence in the Beginning (God) and helped restore his faith! That whole scene was such a beautiful moment! 


Nerissa’s mamma was amazing! I love how this book had a strong mother figure who was loving and strong and this pillar to her family. She is a mother and a wife and is very strong. She isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty and she will fight for her family. She is also always pointing to God and putting her faith in God and His plans. She is such a good mother and I loved seeing that in a book. 


Slight Spoilers (for IRON): I loved that Carter came for Denton! That was such a sweet moment and how Carter actually loves his brother. Char is pregnant!!! That made me so happy! I love Char and Carter together and knowing they are having a baby just makes me so happy!!! 


I could keep going but I think I’ve rambled enough for now. XD 



Note on content: 

Once again Madisyn’s books are clean though I will make a note on one point. KEY (and IRON) deal with the topic of human trafficking. It is done in a really tasteful manner and isn't graphic or too descript. It is a major part of this book with many people being kidnapped and trafficked. That is the “battle” in this book. The characters are working to stop the trafficking and save the children and that is the main plot. I think it was handled really well but that is something to note. 



Some Favorite Quotes (I have so many favorite quotes in this book but I’ll to narrow it down to a few):


“Life was precious. So, so precious and valuable. Everyone, from the babe in the womb to the oldest person alive, was individually formed by the Beginning. Life was a priceless gift and blessing, yet so many were too eager to snuff it out.” 


“That's being a man. Helping others when you are scared.”


“You’ve let fear rule you for far too long. You are more capable than you think. You are smarter than you believe. And you are needed on this journey…You’re needed.” 


“He was an outsider—a potential enemy. He wasn’t allowed to have a nice smile.” 


“If looks could kill, he’d be as melted as a candle placed on a hunk of red-hot iron.”


“It’s a sad thing when someone’s worth is based off their man-made status. The Beginning created all of us. He knitted us in our mother’s wombs forming us individually and with perfect craftsmanship. Every life has value because we’re created by Him. That alone determines our worth. Not some human-contrived rank that's actually worthless in light of eternity.”  



“It's okay to be concerned. Shows you care.” 


“Horses are unpredictable.”

“So are humans.” 


“Love heals most wounds.” 


“It is not a sin to fear, Nerissa. The sin is when we doubt the Beginning’s capability to keep us safe. It’s wrong when we question His infiniteness and power. The One who formed us will never remove His hand from us, my sweet girl. We may break, we may feel like we cannot go on, but He is always there. There is nothing we cannot endure with His grace and power.” 


“Because walking up the side was so easy. What did Lemuel think he was? A spider?” 


“I wanted to tell you the most courageous people are those who face anger even when they are afraid.” 


“There are many misconceptions about love—to romantic, filial, agape, and almost every type. What many call love is not, actually, love. Real love does not turn away when flaws are exposed. Real love seeks to help you become the man you were made to be. Real love does not give you up. The Beginning is real love. He will never let you go.” 


“I know your dream is to be a wife and mother. The Beginning will send along the right man in His perfect timing.” 


“It takes a man of integrity to offer such forgiveness.” 


“You’re supposed to be dead.”

“Sorry to disappoint you.”


“Real love wasn’t conditional.” 




*Cleanness: this is a really clean book! 

Romance is completely clean (there actually was a kiss in this book and it made me SO happy and brought tears to my eyes)! The language was also clean (it was said people cursed, there were some insults, and pasny was used semi frequently). 

The only things to really look out for is violence, fight scenes, injuries, blood, some beatings, talk of abuse (physical and emotional), kidnappings, child & human trafficking, murder, burning down of entire villages, and loss. 

Otherwise, this is a clean book and I HIGHLY recommend reading! 


To read more bookish content make sure to check my blog https://fablerosemc.blogspot.com & my instagram @fablerosemc !!



The Pinterest Board:

Of course I had to make a Pinterest board for this wonderful book! So without further ado, the Pinterest board link! Have fun!

https://www.pinterest.com/fablerosemc/book-%2B-fandoms-part-ii/key-by-madisyn-carlin/ 


———I want to give a big thanks to the author for letting me read this eARC book! This is an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions I have expressed are my own.





More posts…




***

Discussion Time

Thank you so much for reading this book review! Thank you so much for reading this! I hope you were able to possibly find a new book to read. 

I want to hear from you! Meet me in the comments and tell me what you thought of today’s post? Have you read Madisyn Carlin’s books? Do you want to? What is your favorite retelling? Anything good you’ve read lately? Is there a topic you want me to cover? I would love to chat and pray for you! 

If you have any questions or want to talk (or have a prayer request), make sure to comment down below! Be sure to subscribe to this blog to stay in the know because I post new content here every week. ALSO, If you want to hear more about my writing and what I’m reading, make sure you are subscribed because I am doing special updates for BLOG SUBSCRIBERS ONLY! 

XOXO Moriyah 🤎


Comments

  1. Wow! This book sounds so good! I've always been one for a Rapunzel story (okay, yes, I was a major Tangled fan when I was younger, this is true). I'm so excited to try out one of Madisyn Carlin's books! They sounds so good!!! Thanks so much for sharing, Moriyah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! It is! I LOVE THIS BOOK!
      Yes! Me too! I was a huge Tangled fan as a kid (and I still love it so much)!😍
      AHH!!! I can’t wait for you to read one of her books! Whenever you do, please tell me! I think you’ll really like them! 💛
      Aww! You’re welcome!!!

      Delete
  2. Okay, you have me COMPLETELY sold on reading Madisyn's books!!📚 I cannot wait to get my hands on them!!
    Thanks for sharing your review Riyah!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEK!!! I’m SO excited to hear that!!! Her books truly are amazing!!! 😍📚 Please tell me whenever you read one of her books! I’d love to hear all your thoughts when you do!
      You’re welcome Madi!! <3

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this beautiful review! That's hilarious that you imagined it in an Irish setting. XD Amazing what our minds conjure as we read, isn't it? And "Tangled"! YES! My favorite of all time. It's just so real and not "woman saves the day by herself" or "insta-lovey" or attraction based off appearances only like so many others.

    And, as always, your Pinterest boards on *on point*.

    Thank you again, Moriyah! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! You’re welcome Madi! Thank YOU for letting me read your book! I love KEY SO much! I keep thinking about it! <3
      It is quite hilarious! XD It is so amazing what our minds can see and conjure while we read! How a movie and colored images can appear in our minds just from reading words! It’s amazing!
      Eek! Yes! I LOVE Tangled! *clapping* Preach! It is by far the best of all the Disney romances! Even though it takes place over like 2 days, the romance feels real and not rushed. They build a friendship between them and learned to care for each other and sacrifice their lives for each other! I just LOVE this story! It’s so good!

      Aww! Thank you!!! I’m glad you approve!

      You are so welcome, Madi! Thank you again for letting me read this book!!! It’s my favorite! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a reply 💛
I would LOVE to hear from you!

You May Also Like…