Shadow (Heirs of Neverland | Book Two) by Kara Swanson —A Bookish Review

 Book Love | Book Review 



Hello, my friend! 

Today I am going to share with you one of my recent favorite books. I am reviewing Shadow (Heirs of Neverland | Book Two) by Kara Swanson! 

This is a fairytale retelling of the beloved Peter Pan and the sequel to Dust which I reviewed here

I LOVE this book! This series is so good and makes me feel so happy. Even though it deals with hard topics, there is this feeling of hope and joy in these books that battles any hard or darker topics. 

This series has brought so much joy and happiness into my life after I hit a few days of feeling sad and depressed. This book specifically helped get me back up and happy again. So, thank you so much Kara for writing this book and making a positive impact on my life! 

So without further adieu on to the book review!

Summery 

Peter reaches Neverland. He is desperate to save Claire from Captain Hook and her brother who is not as he seems. But with each moment back in Neverland memories haunt him, hidden broken memories he forgot long ago resurface and threaten to destroy him. Neverland is falling apart. Has fallen apart. What can he do? How can he save Claire and is Neverland? 

Claire is held captive. Captive first by Captain Hook then by her own fractured brother. Claire did everything she could to get to Neverland. To get back to Conner. But he is not the loving boy she knew, her twin brother she loves. He is different. Haunted and possessed by a darkness that is destroying Neverland and her brother with it. 

Neverland is dying. The light is threatening to go out forever. Shadows are all around, looming over Neverland, trying to snuff out all the light, all the hope of Neverland. 

To rescue this dream world, Peter and Claire will have to sacrifice the only thing they have left: each other. 


My Thoughts (the review) 

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Cleanness: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


O MY NEVERLAND! I have no words and then all the feelings and thoughts and WOW this is amazing!  

Shadow is book two of the Heirs of Neverland Series by Kara Swanson. This series has become one of my all-time favorites! The characters, backstory, and the whole world and story are incredible. I will definitely be reading this series again and again! 

There is an adventure, magic, finding yourself, pixie dust, pirates, mystery, and so much more. 

The story took unexpected turns and surprised me in places. There were so many twists and turns but it never lost you or felt like too much or forced. It was exactly right. 

Something I loved, and was a big part of the story, was the concept of shadows. How our shadows can latch on to us, tearing us apart from the inside, never letting us go, keeping us captive, turning us into something different and darker than who we are. 

I love how the characters had to fight their shadows. The darkness holding on to them, pulling them down, keeping them prisoners of their past and the things they did wrong. The characters had to fight them, had to face them heads on, and deal with their darkness and their past. 

Only when facing your shadows can you break free of them and find healing. Only then can you be truly free. 

I love the character's personal growth. Their character transformation was incredible. The ending was my favorite! I loved seeing how Clair finally finds her home, a place, a family. Peter grows up, he grows as a person, and he finds out it is okay to grow up. It's okay to fall in love. 

I ten-ten recommend you read this book! You will not regret it! This brought so much happiness into my life and I hope this series does the same for you! 

Parent Guide: 

Profanity/Crude Language Content

Some name calling. 

This, in my opinion, is a clean book. Now there are 'curse words' but it is dated. Think, "beastly" "blasted" "blithering" and "hang it all". The context makes it a 'bad word' but in my opinion, they aren't bad and make me laugh. 

If this old language style of bad words are uncomfortable for you then you might not want to read it, but in my opinion, you should read this. This isn't a big thing, but I wanted to be thorough.  

 

Sexual Content

Crushes. Some kissing. 


Spiritual Content

Tiger Lily believes in the Ever One. The one who creates and paints the stars. Who sees all, who names you, who tells you who you are. 

The Ever One is a picture of Jesus (the author being a Christian) 


Violence/frightening scenes  

There is a lot of fighting, chasing, and attacking.

Claire’s Dust has hurt people before and that scares her. 

There is a moment when Clair is used and ends up hurting people with her dust.  

Peter experiences lots of pain as he remembers his past. 

There are some death scenes that can be hard to read. 


Drug Content

No drug content. 


Sensitive Subjects

(Spoiler) Paige is a really traumatized character and her ending can be hard to read. 

(Spoiler) Peter has a lot of traumatizing moments that all come out in this book (including remembering a lost sibling and being a part of her first death). 

Conner is haunted by his Shadows (his past and the things he has done). A big part of the book is fighting and overcoming our shadows. 

Some death scenes can be hard to read. 

Other posts you may like… 

Discussion Time

Thank you so much for reading this post! I hoped you liked this book review! 

I want to hear from you! Tell me what you liked about this post. Do you think you will read Shadow? Have you read Dust? What Is one of your recent favorite books? I would love to chat! 

Also, check out the My Links tab to see my Pinterest & Instagram! 

Be sure to subscribe to this blog to stay in the know because I post new content here every week. 

I also just posted a book guide for 11-12 year-olds: Moriyah’s Clean Book Guide! It is perfect for young tweens and I hope it will be a good recourse for you! 

XOXO Moriyah 💛


Comments

You May Also Like…