Five-W & One-H | Going Back to The Basics of Writing

 101 Writing Basics | part 2 



Five-W & One-H | Going Back to The Basics of Writing 

101 Writing Basics | part 2 

Something I’ve been wanting to do is share about getting back to the basics of writing. What is writing in simple terms? How do you write a story? 


When I first started out writing, I had SO MANY QUESTIONS. There was so much I didn’t understand. But I wanted to understand. I wanted to learn. I wanted to write. So I started researching and learning as much as I possibly could. 


Years later, I’ve learned so much about writing and what works and what doesn’t work. I don’t know everything there is to writing, I am after all just a girl who loves storytelling. But with what I know, I want to help you and give you advice on writing your story! I want to take your hand and walk you through this amazing process. I know it can be a lot to learn how to write. There can be so much it feels like you need to know and research and understand. I want to help you through this process. I want to give you the steps to do this, the same steps I took when I first started writing and the same steps I still use today! 


I hope, learning with me, that you will get the basic knowledge and understanding and skills of writing! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me! 




The basics of what you need to know 

Today, I want to share with you the basics you need to know to write your story. It’s a simple 6 steps and is probably something you learned in grade school. 


The basics are a thing called the 5W and 1H method. Aka: 


  • Who

  • What 

  • Why

  • When

  • Where

  • How 


This is something most of us learn in school when writing papers, essays or analyzing books. It’s also used in journalism and detective work (yes, I looked it up and it’s totally a thing *nods and pulls out magnifying glass*). 


These are 6 simple things to know before and when writing your story! If you nail down these 6 things then you will (I believe and as I’ve done in my own writing) have a layered story that matters and (as this is more for the outlining stage of things) set you up to write an incredible story your readers will love! 


You may ask, “So what are these things broken down in terms of writing a story and storytelling?” 


Well, I’m glad you asked! Next up on the blog, we will be breaking down each of these terms in easy steps!  


*if you have any questions or topics you’d like me to cover or answer, then please feel free to comment them below!





Don’t forget to check out the previous post where I talked about my own writing journey and my hope in creating this blog series! 


Comments

You May Also Like…