Episode 21 | Writing themes that point to God + finding your story’s why

 


Writing themes that point to God + finding the why of your story 

Episode 21 


Hello sweet friend! Welcome to the Faith, Writing and Coffee Chats Podcast! My name is Moriyah and I am a Christian, writer and coffee lover! Today I have with me my new favorite coffee: an iced snickerdoodle coffee! This is a recipe I found on Pinterest that I’ll link (here)! It’s ice, coffee, cream or milk of choice, maple syrup (or brown sugar), vanilla extract and ground cinnamon and nutmeg! It’s so good and I’ve been obsessed! 


On a quick side note, I’ve switched email platforms so make sure you use the new link! I’m now on substack and so far I’m really liking it! Make sure if you aren’t yet subscribed to go over and do that! [SUBSCRIBE HERE]


Now, back to this episode’s topic! Today we are chatting about writing themes! Themes are the message, the big picture, the thing you want to shout from the rooftops (or you know, write in your book), the thing your characters learn on the journey of your story, that one big thing you hope your readers take away when finishing your book. The theme. Okay, friend, this is a really important part of writing your story, at least it is in my opinion and in being a Christian. Why is that, you may ask? 


Well grab a cup of coffee or tea and let’s chat! 



WHAT IS THE THEME OF YOUR STORY AND WHY DOES IT MATTER? 


The theme of your story is the message at the heart of your story. It is the why of your story. Why are you writing this story? What is the point of this story beyond ideas and characters and tropes and genres? What is the heart of your story? 


This, when you find it, will be the reason why you keep writing. When you hit a hard day or feel drained or like you don’t even know the point of why you are writing this story or you face discouragement or comparison, this—your theme—is what keeps you steady on this story. 


It’s the anchor of your book. 


To me this is very important to do. To have a message. To have a purpose behind my writing. For me, I personally, don’t want to just write a story to write a story. I want there to be a purpose behind what I write. I want there to be a reason behind why I am writing. A message. A purpose. A way to make my story MATTER not just to myself in being a story I love but to be a story that matters to others. I want what I write to be helpful to others. I want what I write to be a light—a light for Christ. I want my writing to be like the passage in Matthew…


“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” 

—Matthew 5:14-16 




HAVING A WHY 


This, having a why and purpose behind my writing is so important to me. It's the calling behind my writing. Why am I writing this story? Why is it important I write this particular story? Why should others read it? If God has indeed called me to writing, as I believe He has, then why


That’s the question. 


WHY? 


If you cannot answer that question then I urge you to find that answer. It will be, when you find it, the reason why you write. It will be the thing that keeps you writing. It will be the heart of your story. The why of your art. 


This can be big or little. It can be learning to be a better person. It can be trusting in God in the face of loss and heartbreak. It can be understanding why bad things happen. It can be empowering to get back up no matter how many times you are punched down. It can be the beauty and power of love. It can be forgiveness. It can be a whole host of things. 


It will be the heart of your story. 




THEMES FROM A CHRISTIAN PERSPECTIVE 


Now, in the beginning of this episode I said how having a theme is important to me, especially as a Christian. I think it is important as a Christian writer to have themes and purpose behind our writing. We don’t want to be like every other mainstream author following the world. I want to be following God and following Him in my writing. I want what I write to be honoring to Him and a light for His kingdom. 


I want to have themes that point to God and are God honoring and written from a Christian perspective. 


Why is this important? 


In an ever growing darker world, I want to write stories to be a light in the dark. A lighthouse on a hill. A way to shine light into the darkness and show God in its pages. I want my writing to be a way for me to reach people for Jesus. A missionary writer is what I’d call it. 


Now, not every Christian writer is going to be this, a “missionary writer” and that is perfectly okay. That is something I have on my heart to do specifically with this children’s book I’m currently working on writing but not every Christian is going to write like this. Some Christians write for others, to be a lighthouse in the dark, a missionary in the world of books. Some Christian writers just write for Christian. Some write just all writers not specifically with a goal of writing for God and that is okay. There is not one right way to write a book as a Christian. 


Each of us I think can have specific callings for our stories. Some are to be missionary stories. Some are to comfort the broken-hearted. Some are to be a lighthouse in the dark. Some are to empower. Some are to heal. Some are to raise awareness to stop the evil happening in the world. I know a number of Christian authors who band together to write stories to fight against human trafficking. So, there are many messages and callings a story can have. 


I believe that our stories should be lights for God and His kingdom. I believe we should be writing God honoring stories. I believe we should be writing stories that have messages to inspire people and change and that will point to Christ and the good news of God. 


I think we should use out platforms to shout about God! Don’t be silent. There are too many people, too many Christian’s being silent. Be loud for Christ. Don’t be ashamed. Use your gifts for God. 


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. 

—Joshua 1:9


Remember this is my own opinion. Still, I personally believe that it is important to have themes and messages in your story that are God honoring and from a Biblical perspective. 


We as Christian writers have an incredible gift in writing to tell stories and get our inspiration from the Author, from God. 


There is this quote I read from the book called “Write Your First Novel” by  Gilbert Morris and Steve Laube (lobby) that I really love. It says: 


“It may seem evident, but Jesus did a large amount of His teaching by using parables—stories that challenged His audience to apply the underlying principles. In some ways Christian fiction attempts to follow this model. A novel can speak powerfully to a reader, whereas that same reader may never pick up a how-to book with the same theme.” 


So I encourage you to write your story to the best of your abilities for the glory of God. That is what this all boils down to. It’s less so that you must have a theme that is “Christian” but it is to write stories for God and His glory and His kingdom. It’s writing with a kingdom perspective and not a worldly one. 


Write for the glory of God. Use your art to praise Him!


“And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” 

—Colossians 3:17 


“Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”

—1 Corinthians 10:31 

 


Soli Deo Gloria [so-lay Dey-o Gloria] = Glory To God Alone  



Want to listen to the podcast version of this post? Check the podcast below! 






BONUS BLOG VERSION 

Do you want to know how to show your theme through the story/journey of your characters (my personal favorite way to do this)? Check out this FREE printable PDF with a quick guide and fill-out-able questions! 


GET THE PRINTABLE PDF NOW!!!








LOVE THIS POST? PIN IT!





Comments

You May Also Like…