Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 

| A bookish review |


Hello, Sweet Friend! 

Today I am sharing my book review of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen!!! I love this book and as of this review, I have read this book three times and I know it is one I will read many times again! 

I love the characters and everything about this book! I have also gotten a ton of inspiration and learned a lot about writing just by reading this wonderful story! I 10/10 recommend you read this book! 

Now to the review! 


“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! —When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice



Rating: ★★★★★

Cleanness: ★★★★★



I LOVE THIS WONDERFUL BOOK! This was the first Jane Austen book I read and is a favorite of mine! I love the characters, setting, conversations, and relationships.


I still remember the first time I read this book when I was 14. My family was then living in Hawaii and I spent most of the time reading this book in my room overlooking the ocean or in my favorite library that was grand and white with the best section for YA books. 


The characters (as always XD) are my favorite part of this book! Their story, their lives, conversations, and what matters most to them are center stage of this book. 


Elizabeth is a wonderful and strong character. I love how much she loves her sister and how she is loyal and will fight for her sister and family. She feels like a second daughter which I think is really cool how the two elder sisters balance each other and feel in the right order. I also really like that Elizabeth, though was prideful and prejudiced at times, was able to learn and overcome it. She didn’t stay in that place but is able to admit when she is wrong and move on. That shows a level of maturity and strength of character. 


Darcy’s character arc is by far my favorite. I love that he really is just a socially awkward introvert throughout the beginning of the story and is able to grow and mature as the story progresses. He begins closed off but by the end is able to be more comfortable around people, think better of people, and be less prejudiced to those who may be lesser in his opinion. He has a masterful character arc and I love his character.


Sweet dear Jane! I love Jane! She is one of my favorite characters and I feel I really relate to her (as an oldest in the family). There are a lot of things about her I relate to (being quiet, more shy, trying to hide or suppress emotions (not healthy) and wanting to genuinely try and think the best in people). I feel like she is an underappreciated character but without Jane there would be no story. 


One of my absolute favorite parts is the sisters' relationship with each other, specifically with Jane and Elizabeth. I love their relationship as sisters and how they are each other’s best friend. You can really see that Jane Austen understands the relationship between sisters. I very much can see me and my sister reflected in Jane and Elizabeth. 


Another thing I love is how much daily life and conversations are a part of this novel. There are entire chapters that are just conversations between people and all of them feel real. It doesn’t feel forced or scripted and feels like you have just stumbled upon two people having a real conversation. I highly recommend reading this book even if it’s only to read the conversation and characterization of the characters. You can learn a lot about writing just by studying this book (or any of your favorite books as I recommend doing)! 



Some Quotes I Love:


“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”


“…but for your sakes, we would do anything.” 


“To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love.”


“He was the proudest, most disagreeable man in the world, and everybody hoped that he would never come there again.”


“You never see a fault in anybody. All the world are good and agreeable in your eyes. I never heard you speak ill of a human being in your life.”


“I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine.”


She began now to comprehend that he was exactly the man who, in disposition and talents, would most suit her.” 


“There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense.”


“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”



*Cleanness: This is a super clean book! I highly recommend it! 

There is some romance. Talk about flirting, seduction, and marrying for looks, position, or money. One of the characters in a way hunts down young rich girls and tries to get them to marry him. Marriage is a big part of this story and it is all clean (I repeat, all clean)! 

Spoiler: a girl runs away with a man unmarried and it is presumed her reputation (and that of her sisters and family) is completely ruined unless they marry. 

There is also gambling and smoking. 



The Pinterest board : 

Okay, if you know me, you know how much I love book aesthetics! Laurel made this wonderful aesthetic Pinterest board! I highly recommend you check it out! 

https://www.pinterest.com/fablerosemc/book-%2B-fandoms-part-ii/pride-and-prejudice/ 




Other Pride and Prejudice Posts: 




***

Discussion Time

I hope you liked this book review!!! Thank you so much for reading this post! <3 

I want to hear from you! Meet me in the comments and tell me what you thought of this post? Have you read Pride and Prejudice before? If so, who is your favorite character? I would love to chat! 

ALSO, if you have any topic you’d like me to cover—writing help or tips, book/movie reviews, thoughts on faith/life, anything—please let me know down in the comments! I want to write posts that can help you and that you would find valuable in (I’m also always looking for new post ideas to write about)!

AND don’t forget to come back THIS FRIDAY for a special Masterclass in writing Insta Love with lots of fun Disney examples! 

If you have any questions or want to talk, make sure to comment down below! Be sure to subscribe to this blog to stay in the know because I post new content here every week. ALSO, If you want to hear more about my writing and read snippets from my stories, make sure you are subscribed because I am doing special updates for BLOG SUBSCRIBERS ONLY! 

Love, Moriyah 💛


Comments

  1. First off, I've loved all your Pride & Prejudice posts lately!!
    MR. DARCY!!!! I LOVE HIM SOOOO MUCH!!! He is one of my absolute favorite fictional men!!!! <3
    I also love all of the many quotes!!

    btw, you look gorgeous😍😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I’m so glad you’ve been liking these posts! I’ve been having so much fun writing Pride and Prejudice posts!
      Eek!!! YESSS!!! Mr. Darcy is the best!!! <333
      Yay! I’m glad you like the quotes!!!

      Aww!!! 🥰 Thank you so much Madi!! You are so sweet! 😍😍

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a reply 💛
I would LOVE to hear from you!

You May Also Like…