My writing and personal growth journey + the importance of changing seasons and taking things slow

 Writing | My Story



Hello, lovely friend! 

Today is more of a reflection post specifically on writing, even if you aren’t a writer, there are still lessons in this post for you!

Writing Seasons 

In TEN MONTHS, I have written two books and I am currently on my third (not to mention four or five other books I’ve outlined and are waiting to be written). I know I’ve grown a lot as a writer and as a person. 

—When I was writing my first book in November (a fantasy) I was still trying to find myself. It was the first time I pushed myself to do something I thought was impossible. I prayed heavenly through that month of writing that God would bless my writing and that he would be my writing partner. I know it is because of him that I am a writer. It is because of Him that I am here now. It is because of him I have been able to write all that I have written. 

Between November and June, I did a lot of editing and outlining. I found out a lot about myself and my writing abilities and how things affect me. I also found out how to write well-written characters who feel real but that's another topic entirely. 

The importance of writing good characters

—Come June I wrote A Hawaiian Summer again in a month. This book was such an incredible journey, unlike my first book. I felt God moving in my writing and in my life. This book is a healing book. God did incredible healing in my life in things I didn’t know I was still holding on to. He gave me a fresh start, a new look on life. For the first time in years, I was TRULY FULLY happy. I struggled for a lot of years with darkness and depression, but now I feel fully free from it. For that I thank God. I think Him for taking me on this journey of healing that has lasted YEARS. I found myself. I found my voice again. I found my style. I found myself. 

How writing affects my emotions and mentality 

—Now in the middle of September, I am writing my third book, A Pumpkin Hill Story. This has been such a calm, slow and peaceful book to write. I’m letting it be slow. I’m not pushing for a daily word count goal. I’m not pushing to finish on a certain date, I’m letting my creativity come, and if I want to write I write, and if not then I don’t. This has been different considering I am a typically very driven person who loves competition and setting big goals. I’ve really loved this process of taking it slow. I want to enjoy the autumn season to its fullest. Every day I try to bring a little autumn into my day, whether a movie, baking, reading, or writing this autumn-themed story. I want to take things slow and bask in this wonderful season. This is a time for me to create and rest.


More Autumn Themed Posts to Check Out

Every time I write a book it is different. Each season is different. Book one I was finding myself. Book two God healed me. Book three, God has healed me and I’m enjoying the healing and freedom, the joy I feel. 

I think it is good to remember that every season, will be different. Every time you write, you are not the same person you were at first. You will have new feelings, and you will have new experiences. Don’t expect it to always feel the same because it won’t. If you are chasing a feeling you will never feel satisfied or have the same feeling (this applies to all areas of life). Treat each new project as a new experience and be thankful God has given you this time to create. 

Take it slow!

Don’t be afraid to take rest seasons. Don’t be afraid to enjoy the season you are in. It's okay if you pause on writing your book. It's okay to take a mental break from social media and just REST. I know it is easier said than done. I really struggle with this but I am starting to set boundaries. 

I do not write every single day (if I have a focus project like now I try to write daily but it's not a steadfast rule). If I feel grumpy or not mentally well or have a bad day, I don’t write because I know it will affect my writing negatively. Social media-wise, I go fully off on Sundays as a day of rest, and I also try not to post on Saturdays. This is personal to me, and it will be different for each of you. 

The biggest takeaway is this, take care of yourselves. Take breaks, and try to take things slow. Know that not every season will be the same, and not every project experience will be the same and that is okay. Priorities self-care and getting in God’s word. There is nothing better you can do than spend time with God. 


The Writing Crash + Permission to TAKE A BREAK  

Discussion Time

Thank you for reading this blog post on how I am reflecting on my writing journey and the season I am in now! I hope you found some encouragement and were able to take something away from this! 

I want to hear from you! Meet me in the comments and tell me what season YOU are in! Are you in a season of rest, of creating, of being fast, or something completely different? Where do you think God wants you to be in this season? I would love to chat! 

If you have any questions or want to talk, make sure to comment down below or find me on Instagram @fablerosemc!  

Be sure to subscribe to this blog to stay in the know because I post new content here every week. 

XOXO Moriyah 💛


Comments

  1. Madisen Lynne LundquistSeptember 16, 2022 at 1:29 PM

    Such a beautiful and well put post!!💛💛 Definitely something I needed to hear! So thanks for sharing Riyah!!😘💛🍁
    I love hearing all about your journey & story!! It is so impactful & I know that God is using you & your story in so many ways!!

    Right now I am going through a season of past & present hurts and working towards full healing. And I can already it is going to be a long journey🙏🏻🙏🏻

    Thanks again for sharing!!
    I love youuuuu!!!😘💛😍🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madi!!! 🍂
      Thank you so much! I’m so glad it was a needed post for you and that you got something out of this! 😍

      Aww! You are the sweetest! Thank you so much for saying that to me. I’m so thankful for all God has done in my life. It hasn’t been easy but He has always been there for me (even when i didn’t feel it). 🙌🏻🤎🙌🏻

      Thank you for telling me! I know God will be with you and will help you in your healing. He doesn’t want you to stay in this place of hurt, He wants you to be healed. He will be there for you, but the responsibility does fall on you as it did me. If you truly want healing, he will help you heal, but you must WANT it and be WILLING to GIVE UP control (that was hard for me). In the end it is SO worth it because you will be healed and live in freedom!!! 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻
      It will take time and it might be long but stick with Him. He will not let you down. 🤎

      You are so welcome!!! 🥰
      I’ll be praying for you in this season of healing going through past hurts and trauma heading to freedom and compleat healing! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
      I love you soooooo much! 😍🍂☕️🍁🙌🏻

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a reply 💛
I would LOVE to hear from you!

You May Also Like…